Menu Home

Before the threshold

Marist (Wellington) 0
Seatoun 4

Chatham Cup Preliminary Round
Tuesday 25 April 2017
Kilbirnie Park

Words by Phil Clayton.
Goal highlights from @kiwibardy
Photographs (and their captions) of this match by Michael Welsh (Dr yomcat shoots).

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

A Chatham Cup clash between two previous Cup winners. Seatoun won the Cup in 1957 and 1958. Marist (Wgtn) won it 1932 and 1946. Both clubs were, before this match, unbeaten in the league this season—albeit this year they’re playing 4th tier—in Capital Division 2.

Yomcat, who provided the photos accompanying this post, had previously seen a dull match when he attended a Cup match last year, but I assured him the drama of the Cup wouldn’t be far away. Then there was a minute of silence, as it was Anzac Day.

But it didn’t take long for the first bit of action. Stuart Pyne of Seatoun dived-in on a Marist player, injured himself and was shown a red card, in the third minute.

The resulting free-kick was in the middle of the Seatoun half. Marist gently chipped into the goal area where it was easily caught. The failure to take advantage of such situations offered by Seatoun would prove to be the bane of Brian Blellock, the Marist coach.

Juan Pablo Silva had a penalty claim waved away in the 15th minute, but it was not more than 2 minutes later until Seatoun got their spot kick. Jim Hartshorn beat a Marist player and was tripped in the top-left corner of the area. He took the penalty himself. It wasn’t the best-ever penalty, but still a good save by Esra Whau, Marist keeper, to his right.

Seatoun continued to have the better of the game. Despite being a player down, they scored in the 21st minute. Omar Alsarrage lobbed the ball over the top of the defence to the left. Hartshorn beat two players this time and, rather than being tripped, shot low past the goalkeeper from a narrow angle.

Marist started to get into the game but were playing g the ball into areas where they didn’t have players, including a low cross passing the face of the goal.

Marcus Tso of Marist was injured off-the-ball in the 27th minute. There was a delay as an ambulance was called as he was carried off with a damaged ankle/leg.
In the 33rd minute, Hartshorn won a corner, as Alex Christou intervened for Marist to put the ball out. The resulting corner-kick made its way to David Silva (on as a Seatoun sub), who fired a low shot toward the corner of the goal, only to see Christou to clear off the line.

The half calmed down after that. Marist had couple of long-range shots but they were wide or straight at the Seatoun goalkeeper.

Seatoun had controlled the space after going a man down and a goal up. They forced Marist wide and into dead-ends, and the home side couldn’t create anything in the final third.

Half-time: Seatoun were leading 1-0.

The lead was extended in the first five minutes of the second half. David Silva received the ball from Hartshorn and dinked it back to him. Hartshorn curled the shot from left to right around the advancing goalkeeper. 0-2.

Marist had their best chance of the game in the 55th minute. Connor Boyd, who was getting into the penalty area more often than the first half, delivered a cross from the right to Harry Brown who shot over from close range. Should have scored.

Marist went to a back three in the 60th minute with Sean Murphy coming on to play immediately in front of them to try to distribute the ball better. But, when Marist did break through Seatoun’s attempts to dictate where they could play, the Seatoun defence was able to scramble a tackle or clearance.

Seatoun grabbed another goal from corner in the 78th minute. Headed on by Hartshorn, the ball was flicked into the net by Lee Bagshaw to make it 0-3.

The lead blew-out in the last ten minutes when Juan Pablo Silva sent a free kick into the area. The Marist goalkeeper took a step too far forward, juggled the ball above his head and spilled it. Hartshorn got to the loose ball and headed it in off the far-post for his hat-trick. 0-4.

That’s the way it finished.

Seatoun’s reward is a trip to the winner of the other preliminary round match in the Capital region, Naenae (another Capital Div 2 side).

Seatoun might be bolstered in the next round by their new signing Marc Capstick, who was yet to play the required number of games to qualify to play in the Preliminary Round. Capstick has Chatham Cup experience in Christchurch as former captain of Coastal Spirit, and played a major role on some historic matches—such as the night Coastal Spirit put 8 goals past Tech, and scoring in the earthquake-affected playoff v Richmond. Seatoun coach Tim Bush will be pleased to pick-up such an experienced player for the league and the ‘proper’ rounds of the Cup.

Words by Phil Clayton.
Photographs (and their captions) of this match by Michael Welsh (Dr yomcat shoots).

Categories: NZ Chatham Cup

Tagged as:

Phil Clayton

Phil Clayton's feet are registered with Brooklyn Northern United but—despite having moved back to Wellington from Christchurch in 2011—his heart is still bonded with Coastal Spirit FC.

%d bloggers like this: