By Jo Dawkins
Onehunga Sports FC has gone from strength to strength over the past decade. Recently our success at youth level, mainly distinguished by the consistent achievement at the Manchester United Premier Cup (2 time Pacific Final winners), has been transferred to men’s football.
2015 was a benchmark year for the club with the integration of the Wellington Phoenix Soccer School, which provides a community and elite training program for aspiring football players from 5 – 18 years old.
The Club Premier Team and Soccer School are led by long term Technical Director Hiroshi Miyazawa.
In 2015, Onehunga Sports boasted a number of accolades with the players we have been developing at youth level for several years, including;
- Manchester United Premier Cup – New Zealand Champions and Pacific Runners Up,
- ACFC National U17 Tournament – National Runners Up,
- U19 Metro League Champions,
- NRFL Premier Reserves – League and Cup Champions,
- FIFA U17 World Cup – Four Representitives at the finals Including Captain Ben Mata,
- FIFA U20 World Cup – Three players at the finals (including goalscorer Stuart Holtusen).
- Olympic U23 Qualifying – Three Players at the finals.
- New Zealand All Whites – Three players debut in 2015 (Only amateur club with representitives/ Including Youngest player Moses Dyer).
- New Zealand ‘A’ – Four Players selected.
We currently have 9 players signed in the ASB Premiership (Including three with Auckland City FC at the FIFA Club World Cup) and various ASB Youth League Players – including 6 with the Wellington Phoenix ASB Youth League squad in Wellington.
Our bid features a dual facility offering with the existing Waikaraka Park as well as Mount Smart Stadium with whom we have had initial and supportive discussions.
The club’s proven development structure is second-to-none and the bid for a national league Spot will provide a vital pathway for our locally produced talent to excel on the national stage.
[This is the third in a series of guest posts from bidding entities stating why they would make great ASB Premiership clubs. If you are bidding for a spot and would like to participate in this feature, e-mail me via casagiordani at orcon dot net dot nz – I have already been in touch with most but don’t have contact details for everyone. I’m not leaving you out on purpose! 🙂 ]
Categories: NZ Men's National League
A grassroots football enthusiast based in Auckland, New Zealand, and a fan of the most magnificent club on earth - A.S. Roma. More info (including e-mail address) can be found here: http://in-the-back-of-the.net/about/